Summer 2018 Season (Middle School Team)
June 12, 2018 - July 19, 2018
Tuesdays & Thursdays, 2:00 pm - 4:00pm
The team is doing well on the water as the summer season is quickly approaching. Practices will be longer (2 hours) to maximize water time. The middle school team focuses on the basics of rowing technique, mental strategies, and racing concepts. The program is catered to younger rowers and coxswains to prepare them for high school competitive rowing. The season consists of rowing in eights and fours where athletes will continue their development of the rowing stroke.
Timeline for Eighth Grade Graduates
The following is a breakdown of the timeline for all middle school students.
- Graduating 8th graders (high school freshman in fall 2018) will join the high school team at the beginning of the summer season.
- Graduating 7th graders (8th graders in fall 2018) may have the option to join the high school team for the summer season (with coach approval).
- Graduating 6th graders will continue with the middle school team through the summer.
- High school freshmen will be on the high school team.
- Students entering 8th grade (fall 2018) have the option to join the high school team (with coach approval).
- All other 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students will continue with the middle school team.
High School Program vs. Middle School Program
Students entering 8th grade in fall 2018 have the option to either continue rowing with the middle school program or join our competitive high school program. The middle school program focuses on basic rowing techniques in a non-competitive environment. The high school program has an intensive training schedule, longer and more frequent practices, longer season, and increased costs to be involved with. Multiple 8th grade students have successfully joined the high school team in the past, and it is something you may want to consider as the parent of an 8th grader.
Note: This must be approved by the coaching staff.
Middle School Summer Practice Schedule
June 12 -- July 19
Tuesdays and Thursdays, 2:00 - 4:00 PM
Practices will shift to the afternoon hours for the summer. New members will add to the team as they complete Learn to Row sessions.
Summer Scrimmage and Open House
Saturday, June 23
Each summer The Milwaukee Rowing Club hosts a scrimmage and cookout down at the boathouse. Family and friends are all invited to come down to this free event. This is a good opportunity to meet the coaches and other families involved with the MRC. We will hold races in front of the boathouse including middle school athletes.
High School Summer Practice Schedule
June 11 -- July 22
Monday - Friday, 7:30 - 10:00 AM
The high school team has three regattas (races) in the summer season:
- June 23 - Summer Scrimmage and Open House - Milwaukee, WI
- July 6 & 7 - Chicago Sprints - Chicago, IL
- July 21 & 22 - Twin Cities Sweeps - Eden Prairie, MN