Summer 2018 Season (High School Team)
June 11 2018 - July 22, 2018
Monday - Friday, 7:30 am - 10:00am
The beginning of summer season marks the shift to our morning schedule. The summer season is a great time around the boathouse. The water is flat and uninterrupted by recreational boats. Schools are out for summer and the junior team has the river to ourselves. All of the sweep boats are available and we take full advantage of limitless water time. Athletes can leave the stresses of schoolwork behind and focus completely on improving themselves as rowers. This is also the time of change. Graduating seniors spend their final days at the boathouse, while future rowers graduate from our highly successful Learn-to-Row program and breathe new life into the boathouse. Additionally, rising freshmen from our middle school program will join the high school team.
The summer season is:
- High-intensity training including longer practice sessions with higher volumes of rowing, weight lifting and cross training.
- Technical breakdown of the stroke and skill development.
- Dedicated video feedback time.
- Highly recommended for athletes planning to row in college.
June 11 – Beginning of summer season (practices Monday – Friday; 7:30am – 10:00am)
June 22-23 - Adult and Alumni Dinner Event and Summer Scrimmage - Milwaukee, WI
July 4 - No Practice - 4th of July
July 6 & 7 - Regatta - Chicago Sprints - Chicago, IL
TBA - Summer Party and Senior Send-off
July 21 & 22 - Regatta - Twin Cities Sweeps - Eden Prairie, MN
July 22 - End of summer season
Summer Racing Schedule and Details
Summer Scrimmage and Open House - June 23 - Milwaukee, WI
- Who: All novice and varsity athletes
- Where: 1990 N. Commerce St, Milwaukee, WI
- Time: Racing 9:00 - 11:00 am
- Lineups: 6/23
- Food: Food will be provided by MRC. We will enjoy some food and socialize on the boathouse plaza.
- Additional Info: Each summer the MRC holds a scrimmage. These are two and three boat informal races which take place in on the Milwaukee River in front of the boathouse. You are encouraged to use this great opportunity to bring friends down to the boathouse and get them interested in rowing.
Chicago Sprints - July 6-7 - Chicago, IL
- Who: All Novice and Varsity Athletes
- Where: Lincoln Park Lagoon, Chicago, IL
- GPS: 2341 N Cannon Dr, Chicago, IL 60614
- Regatta Website: https://www.regattacentral.com/regatta/index.jsp?job_id=4636&org_id=0
- Transportation: Carpools - not provided by MRC
- Trailer Loading: Friday, July 6th
- Tentative Arrival Time: 12:00 pm on Friday, and 7:00 am on Saturday
- Expected End Time: 5:00 pm both days
- Lineups and final itinerary: By 7/4
- Food: Food will be provided by parent volunteers. Everyone must bring one gallon of water (please bring one on Friday and one on Saturday).
- Additional Info: The Chicago Sprints is a 1,000 meter race located in the Lincoln Park Lagoon. This regatta is fun for the whole family with excellent viewing (very close to the rowing), family friendly amenities (zoo, food vendors, green space), and fast competition. Pack a cooler, some folding chairs, and a bike (bike path parallels the race course)!
- Note: The heats are on Friday and the semifinals and finals are on Saturday. Only those who qualify for semis and finals on Saturday will race on that day. Make sure you fill out the regatta signup form so your coach knows if you are unavailable for the race.
Twin Cities Sweeps - July 21-22 - Eden Prairie, MN*
- Who: All Novice and Varsity Athletes
- Where: Bryant Lake, Eden Prairie, MN
- GPS: 6800 Rowland Road, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
- Regatta Website: n/a
- Transportation: Team Bus; departs Saturday July 21, mid morning.
- Trailer & Bus Loading: 7/21 at boathouse prior to bus departure
- Expected End Time: 11:00 pm, Sunday Night
- Lineups: By 7/19
- Food: Food will be provided by team chaperones/regatta organizers. Everyone must bring one gallon of water to share with the team. This can be loaded on the bus.
* This race has an additional cost. The cost is still TBD, as we await final numbers. Around $200.